As you prepare for the New Year, you’re likely making lengthy lists of what needs to be done to kick off 2023 the right way. The experts at Professional Carpet Systems suggests adding one very important task to your New Year’s list—Deep clean upholstery throughout your home!
For many homeowners, deep cleaning soft furniture is the last thing that comes to mind when getting ready for 2023. However, it’s essential to regularly clean your upholstered furniture if you want a happy, healthy, and beautiful home.
Continue reading to discover why this cleaning task is crucial and how you can begin correctly caring for your furniture.
Why Do You Need to Clean Your Home’s Upholstery?
Suppose you’ve never made a habit of properly caring for and maintaining the condition of your home’s upholstery. In that case, the New Year is a perfect time to start! Every homeowner should regularly clean their furniture with fabric.
Let’s begin with a simple question- What is upholstery anyway? Not everyone is familiar with this term. However, it’s a simple concept. Upholstery includes the furniture throughout a home that is made with some kind of fabric, cushion, padding, or webbing. Common examples of upholstered furniture are sofas, cushioned dining chairs, loveseats, armchairs, plush headboards, decorative pillows, padded stools, and more.
Not every homeowner routinely cleans the upholstery throughout their home. However, there are many benefits to maintaining furniture clear of debris, such as:
- Overall indoor air quality
- Eliminating ill-causing germs
- A clean, healthy, and cozy appearance
- Avoiding pricey furniture repairs or replacements
- Reduces the risk of mold and other allergens
DIY Methods of Cleaning Upholstery
It’s not too late if you have yet to deep clean upholstery items you’ve had for several years. A build-up of grime, dust, dirt and other contaminants will make cleaning more challenging, but it’s certainly possible.
Use the following three steps to begin cleaning your upholstered furniture regularly. If these tips aren’t enough to make your sofa or chairs look brand-new again, consider contacting your local professionals for a thorough and advanced cleaning.
Start cleaning your upholstery by removing loose debris, like pet dander and dirt. Eliminating the solids will help to make deep cleaning much more manageable.
Did you know dirt not only makes your couch or chairs look dingy, but it also wears the material? Vacuuming is the first step to deep cleaning upholstery regardless of the fabric the item is made from. Use the hose attachment on your vacuum to treat the sides, tops, and underneath cushions, if possible.
Next, Remove the Stains.
Now, it’s time to address any stains or discoloration. Tackling stains before deep cleaning upholstery will yield better results than skipping the step or saving it for the end. The best way to handle stains is to clean them as soon as they occur. But we don’t always have the time or even realize the stain is there in the first place.
So, if you’re treating old and stubborn stains, there are some critical tips you’ll need to know:
- Start with blotting up any of the moisture if the stain recently occurred.
- Use the proper cleaning solution for the furniture’s material.
- Limit the moisture you apply to the surface of the fabric.
- Gently rub the stain with a soft sponge or microfiber cloth.
- Always rinse the affected area after treating it with a cleaning solution.
- Allow plenty of time for the spot to dry before replacing the pillows or using the furniture.
All newly manufactured upholstery furniture requires a label directing owners to properly clean the material without damaging it. Four letter codes identify how to best treat the fabric:
W- You may use water and wash the covers according to the instructions provided.
S- Avoid using water. Instead, use an alcohol-based solvent.
S/W- You can clean the fabric with either water-based or alcohol-based solutions.
X- Vacuum only.
Finally, Deep Clean Upholstery.
Deep cleaning upholstery is much like treating specific stains. You’ll apply many of the same rules, like gently wiping it down with a soft cloth, using as little moisture as possible, and allowing the fabric to dry completely.
When you prepare a cleaning solution for your upholstery, use more water than soap. If the mixture is overly concentrated, it may be almost impossible to remove it from the furniture, resulting in discoloration and other adverse effects. For example, some fabrics only need one tablespoon of dish soap combined with an entire gallon of warm water.
Next, wipe down all surfaces of the furniture. Be sure to get underneath cushions and in the small cracks and crevices. Apply gentle pressure and avoid using stiff bristle brushes and rough cloths. It also helps to wipe the fabric in small circles and take it section by section.
Then, soak the cloth or sponge in warm water, ring it out, and wipe the surface again. Finally, use a dry cloth or sponge to manually remove the moisture from the upholstery. Allow the furniture to air dry, and that’s it!
Professional Deep Clean Upholstery Cleaning
If your DIY deep-cleaning upholstery didn’t quite do the trick, you might need professional services. The perks of hiring the experts are the professional-grade solutions they use and the experience they have. After treating all kinds of stains and cleaning various materials and styles, there’s not much a professional team cannot handle.
At least, that’s the case for Professional Carpet Systems. Our staff is highly skilled in removing stubborn stains and built-up debris. After just one service, we’ll have your upholstered furniture looking good as new!
Check out our general process of deep cleaning upholstery to get familiar with our service and help determine if it is right for you:
- First, we inspect the furniture of concern and communicate with the client about their needs, wants, and budget.
- Next, we determine the best method for cleaning the specific material of your upholstery.
- After deciding our plan, we begin setting up the advanced equipment and preparing the room with covers to protect the walls, floors, and décor.
- Then, it’s time to vacuum! We pay attention to the details and thoroughly remove loose dirt and debris.
- To ensure all dirt, dust, and debris are eliminated from the upholstery’s fibers, we apply a solution that suspends them and allows for further extraction.
- Finally, we PowerRinse™ the upholstery using hot water extraction to eliminate any remaining build-up and bring the pristine colors and textures back to your furniture!
Maintaining Your Home’s Furniture
After deep cleaning upholstery, it’s crucial to regularly care for your furniture so all your efforts don’t go to waste. It can be pretty expensive to schedule professional services every few months. Save some cash by establishing an upholstery cleaning routine for the New Year!
Here are some tips to successfully maintain the condition of your home’s upholstery:
- Vacuum your furniture at least twice a month. The more often you do this, the better!
- Rotate and fluff couch and chair cushions every few weeks.
- Clean up spills as soon as possible to avoid unsightly stains.
- Try not to eat or drink near your upholstered furniture.
- Keep your furniture away from direct sunlight to prevent the color from fading.
- Find a trusted upholstery cleaner and schedule yearly appointments for deep cleaning services.
Why Hire Professional Carpet Systems?
The answer is simple—we are the best team in Tampa Bay! Our loyal customers are always satisfied with our expert services, including upholstery cleaning, carpet restoration, mattress cleaning, and more.
Not to mention, we are a green cleaning team who cares about our environmental impact. All products we use are safe for the planet, people, and pets. So, you can have peace of mind when working with Professional Carpet Systems.
If you’re looking for upholstery cleaning services that are gentle on delicate materials and tough on challenging stains, Professional Carpet Systems is the company to call! Reach out today to see how we can be of service to you.